2016 was a busy and successful year for the Thoracic Oncology Research Group and our Target Lung Cancer (TLC) campaign. We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their continued support and looking forward to working with our patients and the public in our new initiatives and fundraising events in the coming year.
Here are some of our highlights and achievements for the past year…
Events and Community Fundraising:
- Award winning chef and writer, Neven Maguire, continued to support Target Lung Cancer through his role as our ambassador. In September, Neven hosted a fantastic Food Festival in Clontarf Castle which raised over €15,000.
- The O’Neill Family (Team Bab’s) ran in numerous races throughout 2016 and raised over €5,230.
- Maureen and John Connolly raised over €3,300 through a darts competition fundraiser.
- Pat Morgan raised over €2,400 through her Shave or Dye fundraiser.
- Donegal Shines a Light on Lung Cancer took place at Glenveagh National Park, organised by Anne-Marie Baird and raising over €2,500.
- Stephen Hunter raised over €2,400 through a Christmas Carol Service in memory of his father Gerald Hunter.
Thanks to all of our supporters who took part in races, community fundraising events, gave in memory of a loved one, or gave a gift no matter how big or small, in aid of Target Lung Cancer here at St James’s Hospital.
Other highlights and achievements:
- Media interviews with our St James’s Hospital Clinicians, Scientists & Lung Cancer Patients
- Promotion of Lung Cancer Awareness on World Cancer Day & Lung Cancer Awareness Month
- Public-Patient Involvement in conjunction with the Irish Platform for Patient Organisations, Science & Industry (IPPOSI)
- New international collaborations with our Lung Cancer Biobank
- Establishment of a Biobank Working Group with other Cancer Biobanks at St James’s Hospital & Trinity College Dublin and the NSAI, with the aim of working towards accreditation
- Advanced Molecular Testing in our Cancer Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory with new Blood Oncogene Panel Testing by Next Generation Sequencing (NGS)
- Recipients of Travel Awards (ETOP), Young Investigator Communication Workshop Award (WCLC 2016) and Education Bursary Award (BTOG)
- Presentation of research by our Research Scientists and Clinicians at the International Cancer Conference (Dublin), British Thoracic Oncology Research Group Meeting (Dublin) and World Conference on Lung Cancer (Vienna). Invited presentations were also delivered by our Consultant Pathologist at ESMO (Copenhagen) in a specialized symposium on Clinical Applications of Serial Molecular Biomarker Monitoring
- Opening of new Clinical Trials for lung cancer patients at St James’s Hospital led by our Consultant Medical Oncologist
- Publication of research findings by the Thoracic Oncology Research Group at St James’s Hospital (as authors and collaborators) in international peer-reviewed medical and science journals:
Reck M et al., N Engl J Med, 2016
Gray SG et al., J Thorac Oncol, 2016
Baird AM et al., Sci Rep, 2016
Liu G et al., Clin Cancer Res, 2016
Heavey S et al., Oncotarget, 2016
Cuffe S et al., Cancer Epidemiology, 2016
Joerger M et al., Expert Opin Ther Targets, 2016
MacDonagh L et al., Cancer Lett, 2016
Leon G et al., Pharmacol Ther, 2016
Cathcart MC et al., BMC Cancer, 2016
Hallinan N et al., Cancer Treat Rev, 2016
Elamin YY et al., Cancer Microenviron, 2016
Yan Y et al., Sci Rep, 2016
Hu L et al., Am J Cancer Res, 2016
Burgess JT et al., Cell Death & Disease, 2016
Ryan SL et al., Assay Drug Dev Technol, 2016